- interdental lisping - when the tongue tip protrudes between the upper and lower teeth
- lateral lisping - when airflow escapes over the sides rather than the midline of the tongue
Sharon Evelyn has 25 years of experience in Speech-Language Pathology and is a:
- Certified Speech-Language Pathologist with Speech-Language & Audiology Canada (SAC)
- Registered member in good standing with the Alberta College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (ACSLPA)
- Member of the Alberta Association of Private Practitioners (ASAPP)
- Honorary Member of the International Association of Orofacial Myology (IAOM)
Sharon has a strong background in working with diverse populations in and around Calgary and in Northern Canada. She started her career working with preschool and school-age children in Yellowknife and across the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
When it was time to move closer to family, Sharon returned to Calgary and developed a strong interest in working with children and teens with Down Syndrome.
Sharon transitioned into a new role with Alberta Health Services where she worked on a school team and later a preschool team. These roles gave her the privilege of working with children with a variety of communication challenges. She welcomed the parent involvement with the preschool children and enjoyed working in collaboration with the schools for the older children.
Sharon was later offered a position that would allow her to continue to pursue another passion; working with children and adolescents with FASD. She took on the role of speech-language pathologist on the FASD Assessment and Diagnostic Team at Renfrew Educational Services where she worked alongside an occupational therapist and psychologist. The team consulted with local and rural pediatricians to help identify and provide support to children and their caregivers.
Over the course of her career, Sharon has developed and facilitated workshops and education sessions for colleagues, clients, their families, teachers, school personnel, day care staff, Aboriginal Head Start teachers and the general public.
Sharon has had a private practice since 2010 and is excited to offer her services on a full-time basis in her clinic in Marda Loop.